Limerick Clare Education and Training Board
View available courses:
The purpose of this award is to enable the learner to acquire the knowledge, skill and competence in hairdressing theory, practice and skills to work independently and under supervision in a hairdressing environment.
On successful completion of the programme, learners may progress into higher education and training or to employment.
- Education: Applicants must have achieved a QQI Level 4 Major Award or its equivalent It is recommended that applicants have achieved at least Junior Cert or equivalent in a Science subject
- Aptitude: Good Eye/ Hand Co-ordination Good Finger Dexterity, i.e. be able to use hairdressing tools and equipment in a safe manner with both hands at the same time when working with hair Be able to identify basic shapes and to visualise the end result of a hairstyle
- Previous Experience: Full time/part time work experience in a commercial hairdressing salon desirable
- Induction - Common Awards
- Safety And Health At Work 5N1794
- Communications 5N0690
- Creative Styling - 5N3349
- Hairdressing Theory And Practice - 5N3345
- Barbering Techniques - 5N3348
- Career Planning And Work Experience - 5N1356
- Hairdressing Science - 5N3346
Provide effective salon services within a work environment, operating independently while under general supervision. Apply a knowledge of the scientific principles underlying hairdressing enabling them to develop safe and hygienic salon work practices. Describe the requirements relevant to safety & health at work. Explain regulations to include acts & legislation and responsibilities. Describe the roles of the authority, personal safety & health awareness. Identify and complete documentation relating to safety & health at work. Identify of risks and hazards in the control of infection & contamination. Describe first aid, safety & fire awareness, manual handling, VDUs, workstations & signage. Demonstrate practical activities relating the promotion of safety and health at work. Participate in the workplace for a limited time carrying out work-related tasks independently while under general direction.