Moving to Australia for a UK / Irish Midwife
Step 1 - AHPRA Registration
- AHPRA is the authority that process your nursing registration in Australia.
- You cannot work over there as a nurse without registration.
- The UK and Ireland are listed as countries that ‘will likely’ pass the AHPRA registration process.
- It normally takes approx. 8 – 12 weeks for AHPRA registration (if all documentation is completed correctly).
- Once you have been approved you get an AHPRA ‘ in principle’ Letter.
Generally you have 3 months from the date of this letter to travel to Australia to present your ID and validate your AHPRA registration.
Here is a quick guide for AHPRA Registration: Watch Video.
Step 2 - Find a Job before you Travel
- Decide on where you want to be located, Australia is a big place.
- Decide if you are interested in Public or Private Hospital environment. Private hospitals can provide more incentives to attract candidates.
- Research what overseas recruitment agencies are advertising for roles in your preferred location.
- Use an agency which is located in your timezone.
- Using an recruitment agency is free, and is useful for finding out about the terms and conditions, support through recruitment process.
- Recruitment process can take up to 6 - 12 months from date of interview (depending on your visa situation) to make the move to Australia.
Step 3 - Australian Visas
Take a look at our dedicated landing page for Australian Visas to get the most concise information.
Meet Catherine, a Mothercraft Nurse with Hurstville Private Hospital
Midwife roles in Australia:
Midwifery Information Sessions Roadshow
Come and meet our team & Director of Clinical Services at Hurstville Private Hospital, Shane Combs, at one of of Midwifery Information Sessions in a City near you this November.
View all events on our Eventbrite page.
Live Q & A - Midwives - Moving to Australia
Contact Elizabeth firstname.lastname@example.org or call +353 91 546 700 for more information.